Sunday, July 01, 2007

Listen!

Want another perspective on where I am? An audio perspective, perhaps? Then turn on the internets and get yourself to BBC Radio 4 on July 2 to listen to "BBC guy" (as seen on ColdPhoto) talk to Sergei (also as seen on ColdPhoto!) and tramp around Pleistocene park. Although you'll never be able to tell, for a large part of the outdoors bits, you are actually listening to me as well! Sort of. Me trying to be very quiet and likely edited out of the background, at least. I'm right there with them.

So, if you're interested, go here for the blurb (half-way down the page, conveniently titled "Pleistocene Park"), and go here for the channel for listening. I believe the time is 9-9:30pm, July 2, British-time. Someone - let me know how it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah, I'm listening to the BBC coverage. BBC guy, Adam Fowler, talks like a safari guide, and is infatuated with every little thing he sees. I like Sergei's accent. He speaks english really well. They're playing unusual music in the background of the program, chanty Russian folk type stuff. A guy from University of Alaska Fairbanks is going on a tirade of science-talk, explaining the animal situation. Now Sergei's giving BBC the run down of the mammal population in the area, specie by specie. I think the loud engine noise in the background is the tank, maybe. Sergei comes off as very Russian and knowledgable and enthusiastic. BBC is very inquisitive. Apparently, Sergei wants animals to come and destroy the moss, which will be replaced by grass, which will support more animal life. BBC asks him if the people nearby are worried about the danger of tigers etc in the area, and he says that 'alcohol will kill more people here than tigers will'. Now they're in the tank, which he says is equivalent to 2 male mammoths, and BBC is narrating as you guys are squishing trees in the forest. I don't hear anything from Laurel, as far as I can tell. Now they're on the boat going to the riverbank. BBC describes Sergei as looking like 'a man in his element'. Then they wrap up by talking about the global implications of the Pleistocene project. Really quite interesting and well produced.

Laurel said...

Excellent! That all sounds about right - I certainly remember the "alcohol will kill more people" line. Thanks so much for letting me know about it!