Tuesday, October 24, 2006

What was: Day 36 - Helicopters are fantastic

Today was fantastic for photography, which means it was pretty much fantastic in general. We have some media people onboard who are doing some filming, so I got to tag along with them when they took a helicopter out, and then I got to go out AGAIN in the afternoon to take some shots for ArcticNet. We have recently passed Pond Inlet and are entering Oliver Sound, where the Heron (a small survey vessel) is mapping the sea floor.

Coming past Pond Inlet:


Entering Oliver Sound:




Traversing Oliver Sound:





While waiting for the ship to come around to a good spot in the sound, the pilot took the copter up over the mountain for a view of the ice moving down the mountain (like a small glacier):



And then we did one of the most awesome things I've ever done. I told the pilot I wanted a shot of the top of the ship next to the Heron (the small yellow boat), so he swung the helicopter into a steep upward spiral, ending high above the ship at a sharp tilt, letting me take this shot:



I still get shivers whenever I look at that photo. I hope it conveys something of what it's like to be in that position. Finally we came down close to the ship to get a shot of the people watching us from the top of the bridge:



For a bit of perspective on the size of this sound (which is like a fjord), here's a bit of a diagram:



Simply fantastic.

No comments: